Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Catching Up, part deux

The last month has brought some changes.  I am still working on http://www.overthemoongoods.com/, but during the holidays I found myself working on other projects.  January is time to hit it again.  Then there was a job opening that came up and I was asked to apply.  After a lot of thought (and prayer), I decided to apply.

I wasn't sure what would happen.  Between the time I applied and the time I was called in to interview, I went back and forth.  In fact, a day before I interviewed, I thought about pulling my application.  A friend talked me into letting it stay and seeing what would happen.  The following evening, the phone rang at 8:30 pm.  The hiring committee wanted to know if I could come and meet with them.  RIGHT THEN.  Uhm, sure no problem, just ignore the fact that my hair is wet as I just got out of the shower.  I can honestly say that I don't think I have ever interviewed for a job in jeans, ugg boots and fleece, oh and wet hair!

After an hour of round table interviewing (me answering questions from 5 men),  I was convinced that I wanted the job.  So when they offered it to me, I took it.  So 2011 began with a new job in a new field.  I have entered the non-profit realm and now work part-time for our church.  My duties include handling the financial 'stuff' as well as the office secretarial duties.  Being the 1960s (not really, but there are some on the committee that seem to have forgotten what decade we are in), they are still stuck on the term 'church secretary/bookkeeper'.  I could care less about a title, but I have to admit that in my mind, when I hear the word 'secretary' it conjures up images of cone bras, heavy, waist-cinching girdles, and double-knit dresses (think Joan on Mad Men).  Maybe one day they will change it to Administrative Assistant, since I seem to be assisting in the administration of the church.  Although I wasn't exactly ready to start working on a set schedule, I knew that if I didn't try I would regret not taking it later when I was feeling up to a set schedule again.  I enjoyed the first week and was anxious for the second.  We will see how it goes from here.  I will admit, it feels really good to enjoy going to work.

to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment