Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I can't believe she is 18!


Ok, so I am a couple of days late with this post.  Kirsten turned 18 last Friday (February 25) and while my intentions were good to sit down and post a Happy 18th Birthday Kirsten! post, I failed, miserably.  I won't list the legitimate excuses...my mom had surgery, I had work, I had to plan a birthday dinner for her and her friends, I had to go to a women's retreat, we had a couple of dr. appointments...nope, I won't give those up as an excuse.  I just knew that I wanted to sit down and go thru some pictures before I posted.

She had an awesome birthday week.  Extended family party, Josh home for a traditional, just the five of us  family dinner out (although I would have been fine if Evy and Marcus could have joined us), and then of course the actual day where she hosted her friends for a Mexican feast and then 5-pin bowling in Canada.  We were even able to pleasantly surprise her with her gifts--always a bonus! 

Now she is 18 and ready to take the next steps into adulthood.  Still trying to settle on a college, but that should be decided soon.  I told someone last week that she is truly a joy to parent and I meant every word, WITHOUT sarcasm.  Sure, we butt heads as every head-strong mother and daughter do, but she makes me smile and laugh every day.  I'm excited to see her head off to school this fall, but I know I will miss having her around.  I think her Dad will miss her more than me!  For me, one of the most special moments of her birthday was when she shared a card that she had received from a teacher.  This teacher had taken the time to write to her on her birthday telling her what a gift she was to him and how he enjoyed being able to teach her.  It made me feel so good that someone in that position recognized what an amazing and giving person she is.

I love this child, as I love all my children.  It feels good to know that she has reached legal adulthood and that she has turned out to be an amazing human being and young woman.

Happy Birthday Kirsten!

On a service project in Mexico.


2 comments:

  1. Kirsten is an amazing young woman! I can't wait to see all that God has in store for her!

    ReplyDelete