Friday, December 23, 2011

We're going to have a wedding!



At the kick-off of this holiday season, we were given some news. Our oldest, Joshua and his girlfriend Evy told us that they had set a wedding date and were planning to get married September 1, 2012. I phrase it this way because when questioned by Nadya, (Evy’s delightful Russian mother who is a spitfire) if she could say that they were ‘engaged’ Josh replied ‘No’, he needed to propose yet. I know, I know, whah????

See, these two are a little unconventional in some (most) traditional realms and we love them for it. Josh informed us that he was not going to be purchasing Evy an engagement ring because: a) she said she didn’t want and/or need one b) it cost money they don’t really have and c) they know they are getting married, why do they need an engagement ring to show to everyone else–a wedding band should cover it right? So we proceed with the ‘engagement’, although I am informed today that he still needs to actually propose, he is working on that. He did inform me that he did speak to Nadya and acquired her permission for this whole proposal thing (again, should you have done that BEFORE you told her you had a date set to marry her daughter??). Anywhoooo, I am learning in yet another way that my oldest is far from conventional. Honestly, it makes me laugh. However, his lack of ‘proper’ order is stressing out his oldest younger sister who can’t quite figure out WHAT they are doing.

The wedding plans? Well, I am sure those will be unique as well. If it was one of our daughters, I would already have most of it figured out in my mind. Mainly because over the years, when the girls and I have discussed weddings, we have always talked about our likes/dislikes and what we would like to do/not to do at such time as they each get married. This one though??? I have NO idea how to proceed with this event. All I have to go on is that the ultimate desire of the bride and groom is a ‘picnic in the park’. I’ve heard ‘baked potatos’, I’ve heard ‘potluck’, but honestly it is much too early to have details at this point. I have told Joshua that I will try my hardest to not become a pain in his and Evy’s butts during this planning process. I will be supportive and I will keep my mouth shut. I have also asked him to tell me to shut up if I start to drive him nuts, but he needs to remember that when it comes to brainstorming ideas about large group events, my mind will always kick into a problem solving, logistics management mode.

Our future daughter-in-law Evy comes from a very large extended family. Her mom is one of 13 children, all of whom immigrated to the United States (via Israel) from Siberia in the early 1980s. From what I am told, they are a very large and very entertaining family who never goes anywhere without bringing food, lots and lots of food. I have heard the word ‘crazy’ used often when she and Josh describe her extended family and associated family encounters (always said with a smile on their faces). I will readily admit that I have already begun to refer to the upcoming nuptials as ‘my big fat Russian wedding’. I think my dear, Great Auntie Al may roll over in her grave before this amazing festival of nuptials passes! It makes me smile just when I think about it. My big city lawyer younger brother (who is absent from most family events) has even told me that he wants to be here (pray that his scheduled trial is postponed!). Now THAT will be a minor miracle!

As we anticipate gaining a new daughter (in-law), and our family merging with this larger contingent, we look forward to the richness that will be added to our family. We look forward to ‘my big fat Russian wedding’. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. HOW EXCITING!! I attended my neices wedding this summer..and it was not traditional either..they were married on the beach, the bridesmaids were barefoot, and it was LOVELY! I often wish I had had the courage so many years ago in my wedding to "live it up" and not be so worried about traditions. I was so worried about doing the "proper" thing. Weddings are always special, and I look forward to hearing/reading about your sons wedding in the coming months.

    ReplyDelete