Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wine, Women and … Well Wine of Course!

Last weekend I was able to spend time with some of my favorite people, doing one of my favorite things.  This year, we flew to Walla Walla and we spent 2 entire days tasting wine, lots and lots of lovely wine.  I’m not ashamed to say that I really enjoy wine.  I don’t like beer or any other hard liquor really, but I adore wine.  The tastes, the smells, the experience of discovering the complexities of a good wine, is always GOOD STUFF to me (and yes I just used ‘good wine’ and ‘good stuff’ in the same sentence).  Wine tasting is always enjoyable for me.  To swirl and smell, to sip and taste…ahhhhh.  I also get a kick out of integrating myself into conversation with those that are pouring the wine.  In short, wine tasting is always a happy activity.  It is REALLY hard to be stressed and worry about your day-to-day existence when you are trying to taste the plum or pear or currants in a small swallow of wine.   So yes, I enjoy wine tasting weekends.  BUT, most of all, I adore the time that I get to spend with my ‘girls’.  This year, I was sad when one of my lovelies couldn’t make it at the last minute. She was dearly missed, but we understood she was sick and needed to be at home—she will NEVER be voted off our island!  She promises me she will never miss again!  After 4 days of great food, fabulous wine, stimulating and engaging conversation, I was a little sad to leave it all behind and return home.  I returned home exhausted but rested and restored.  Once again, I was reminded that my weekends away with the girls are ALWAYS worth it!  Worth the time it takes to plan, worth the money that is spent to go, and worth the energy that is involved anytime you have to leave family, job and home behind.  I think we set a new record this year with 5 cases of wine purchased…but hey, we got a lot of it on sale!  To memorialize my weekend, I offer up these photos of one of my favorite hobbies…wine!
283-6_Buty
One of my all-time favorite wineries...Buty.
Wine095
Ok, so I borrowed this picture off the internet...we didn't see blue sky this trip, but a girl can dream.
DSC02256
They had the 3 most adorable small dogs running around the tasting room, they kept wanting to play with us.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
At this place we were told the funniest description ever by the cutie pouring wine for us...at one point he poured for us and told us that if we could get past the wine's smell of 'cat urine', we would probably really like the wine.  We looked at him and said, uhmmmmm, you need to work on that description.  But he was right, it DID smell suspiciously like cat urine.
DSC7159
I don't particularly like this wineries wine, but I LOVE.LOVE.LOVE. the location of the tasting room.
295306_206493036071892_153888451332351_523554_4962609_n
And just so you don't think all we did was drink our way through the weekend, we stumbled on this amazing pub in downtown WW...they had amazing burgers and truffle fries!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a weekend of bliss!! so glad you got to go. And you know who to call when you decide to crack into one of those cases!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wine tasting date soon kate, soon!!

    ReplyDelete