Thursday, April 8, 2010

Auntie Al

Alice C. Erickson - July 5, 1911 to April 2, 2010.


Tomorrow, we will be attending the funeral of my Great Auntie Alice Erickson (Auntie Al). She died last Friday, April 2 at the age of 98. Until this past December, Auntie Al had lived on her own in an apartment in Seattle’s Greenwood neighborhood. Upon hearing the news of Auntie Al’s passing, Dean said: wow, if Auntie Al can die, any of us can die. While we weren’t surprised by her death, we were surprised by it at the same time. I think a small part of me thought she would just keep going forever, even though I knew that wasn’t possible. I think she was tired and ready to move on.

Auntie Al was my Grandma Johnson’s sister. She had never married, which allowed her to be part of all of our lives in a much bigger way than if she had been married with her own children and family. Growing up, Auntie Al was always with us for holidays and family events. She and my Grandma were extremely close and their relationship was something that I admired and envied as a young adult, so comfortable with each other, so easy. They would get annoyed with each other, they were both stubborn (after all they were old Swedes!), but the connection between the two of them was strong and loving.

If I had to use one word to describe Auntie Al, it would have to be ‘regal’. Auntie Al was tall. Very tall. I’m not sure of her exact height, but I know she stood at least 6 feet tall. She always stood with her back straight. There was no slouching or rounded shoulders from her, not even at the end stages of her life. She used to tell me that she had reached 6 feet tall at a young age. Her father would constantly tell her to not slouch and stand up and be proud of her height. She said it wasn’t always easy because she was so much taller than anyone else her age, especially the boys! In the end, she said she was glad her father had been so strict about proper posture.

Auntie Al loved beautiful clothes. As a small child I was always impressed by her strong sense of fashion, something neither my Mom, nor my Grandma ever quite grasped (much to Auntie Al’s dismay at times!). She shopped at places like Frederick & Nelsons and Nordstrom. Her clothes and shoes and accessories were always impeccably coordinated. Her beautiful snowy white hair was always done to perfection. I remember her bringing hand-me-downs to Grandma and to my Mom, trying to spiff them up a bit. I think most of the items had been seldom worn. I was often disappointed when the items were too big for my Mom, I so wanted her to dress like Auntie Al. Auntie Al also bought only the best department store make-up. We were often on the receiving end of those special ‘gift with purchase’ items that as small girls were so much fun to have for our dress up box. As a child growing up in a house where you were very aware of the ‘we have no money for ** or ** ’ mantra, I was in awe of her beautiful things and her ability to purchase these things, yet her unselfish generosity too. Class, she had class.

Auntie Al was set in her ways and her ideas. Again, that strong-headed Swede thing (hmmmmm, maybe I do get it from that side of the family???). For instance, she didn’t particularly care for short men, a fact that my Uncle Howard has never gotten over! My poor brother-in-law Bill could also never quite measure up, no matter how nice he was to her. She was very proud of her Swedish heritage, thus making her slightly unimpressed with some other ethnicities. For example, my Dad was what we referred to as a ‘mut’–no distinct ethnic origin--a smattering of Polish, Welsh, English, mercenary and pioneer. However, when Dad came on the scene in Mom’s life (who incidentally was Auntie Al’s first born niece and thus a little favored) he was tall, athletic and good looking, so I’m guessing she was rather torn. Thus she seemed to tolerate my Father, but was never overly impressed either. I was lucky enough to marry a Dutchman, an approved ethnic background, plus Dean's height hits the six foot mark. Whew!

Auntie Al did a lot of special things for us four kids. Our family never seemed to have extra money, ever. Auntie Al would consistently slip my Mom money from time to time to use for small luxuries like Easter or Valentine candy, or a little extra present at our birthday or Christmas. She always gave gifts to all of us ‘Johnson’ family great nieces and nephews, but she seemed to divert a little extra for us four. Even those years that we lived in Indiana, away from the rest of the Johnson clan, Auntie Al would continue to send Mom a little extra at those special times. When our children were born, Auntie Al continued the traditions. Every birthday and Christmas there was always something from Auntie Al. As she aged and her finances got a little more thin, she still wanted to do something for the kids at Christmas. So, several years ago she and I came up with the idea that each year she would give me money to purchase calendars for each of our three kids. That way, there would be a reminder all year long that Auntie Al thought about them frequently and they in turn thought of her. Last Friday, when I told each of my kids that Auntie Al had died, they were all a little choked up. She had made an impression on their lives that I know they won’t forget.

Auntie Al, your grace and beauty will be missed. Thank you for being such a special Great (Great) Auntie to all of us. You will always be remembered with a smile.

Auntie Al on her 90th birthday with Annika and Kirsten

1 comment: