Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Marcus

 I haven't had enough time to write lately.  I know that soon this will be a problem of the past and I will be able to indulge in my need to share in written form.  Tonight I am thinking about our friend Marcus.

Marcus is our daughter Kirsten's boyfriend, although that almost seems like an immature title to call him.  He is more than that.  This is a child that is very endearing.  He is a big lug of a boy that has stolen our hearts, as he has stolen the heart of our middle child, Kirsten.  Frankly, we feel the same way about Josh's girlfriend, Evy...such a sweet girl that has stolen Josh's heart...but for right now I am thinking about Marcus.

Marcus leaves for his freshman year of college at the crack of dawn tomorrow.  When I say 'big lug'...I am reminded of the nickname for my OWN father....  My dad was my mom's 'big lug'.  A boy-like man that played football and loved life and people.  Marcus is very similar.  Marcus is 6'3" and 265 lbs and loves football and people.  He also loves our daughter, Kirsten.  It is a mature love though, not that teenage co-dependent, drama up and down love.  They have a relationship that is rooted in Christ as the center and it is pretty touching and special to witness.  I am sure all parents feel this way, but I am quite proud of them.  They are WAY more mature than I ever dreamed of being at their age.  Tonight as he gave me a big good-bye bear hug I was sad that I won't be able to see him on a frequent basis, yet I am SO excited for him and the wonderful things that he will get to experience as he leaves for college.  He plans to  attend Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa.  He  also plans to play football and participate in Track (scholarship money is on the line!).  He envisions using his passion for playing football in some type of ministry to his fellow teammates and students.  We know God will use him as his heart is open for that.  We also secretly (and now not so secret!) hope that he and Kirsten are as right for each other as we think and will in fact make a life together someday.  For now, we wish Marcus well and will  continue to pray for him and his future, no matter what. 

Marcus, we love you and we will  miss you.  We also know you will do great things!  You showed us again tonight your great heart for others and we found you endearing yet again!!  You are awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment