Friday, September 3, 2010

shhhhhhhhhh

Today is Friday and I'm NOT at work.  It feels a little strange.  For the last many years, I have always worked on Fridays.  My reasoning for working on Fridays was varied.  I never liked to cook on Friday nights and this was acceptable to Dean so I didn't have to worry about that when I got home.  Often our office would quit working early on Friday afternoons and spend the last part of the day talking and sharing a bottle or wine.  Fridays were a somewhat slack day to be at work.  Now that has changed and I am at home.  ALONE.
I can't tell you how good it feels to be at home.  Is it wrong of me that I enjoy it A LOT when everyone is out of the house and I am here alone?  Sure I had to get groceries, do laundry and clean the house (we have weekend company coming), but being able to do all of these things on a Friday and NOT a Saturday feels so great.  It even makes me almost forget the part about how my paycheck is going to be pretty tiny when I get the next one.

I can't tell you how good it feels to be at home, ALONE.  I love my kids and Dean, but there is something about the solitude that is so nourishing.  I can think without interruption.  I can fix myself something to eat without being asked if I can fix someone else something too.  I can sit on the computer without anyone asking me questions.  I can sew (a renewed passion that I am thoroughly enjoying).  Wow, I can even read a book.  I can even go to the bathroom without someone coming and knocking on the door (yes, my youngest still does that--a door closes between me and her and she panics).

I am by nature a very social person, but I have a secret...I really love to be alone too.  Now its time to finish preparing for our weekend guests.  I can't wait for that time either.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for time alone! I am so with you. Being in the house BY YOURSELF is such a wonderful treat. Enjoy and revel in it. you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete