Monday, November 1, 2010

Thinking of the Yucatan

This past weekend, I was going thru our 2010 Yucatan pictures.  I had hoped to be able to go down again this fall, but with November 1 rolling around, and no plane ticket bought, I think that is not going to happen.  While I don't know how I could fit it in, I would have really enjoyed going again.  I hope we will be able to go again next summer.  Again, time will tell.  For now, we enjoy getting e-mails from Jacobo and the occasional picture, or two.  Sometimes I think people wonder why I love it so much down there.  Some have commented to me 'oh I could never do that' when I mention sleeping in a hammock with geckos overhead.   Bottom line, I LOVE THE PEOPLE.  Their smiles, their hugs, their displays of true emotion, I can't get enough of it. 
Of course I love the warm sun, but there are definitely things that I would never be able to overlook here at home, that I have no problem overlooking when I am there.  Examples?  First one that comes to mind is the lack of toilet seats, for some reason they seem to be in short supply in the Yucatan.  Here at home I would never tolerate having to hover over the brim, but there I do no problem, reminding myself that I am building thigh muscles as I perch over the open bowl.  On a related topic, the stinky garbage can next to each and every toilet.  Remember, you can put nothing in the toilet that doesn't come out of your body...the septic/sewage system can't handle it.  This leads to a most unpleasant refuse container, which in most public restrooms seems to always be OVERFLOWING with debris.  mmmmmm, NOT.  Taking cold showers.  To own and use a hot water heater is a luxury.  At home, I have a complete hissy if someone turns the water on while I am taking my shower and the temperature plummets.  In contrast, this last trip, our host offered to light their water heater for us and I declined. I found I didn't care if I took a cold shower.  WEIRD, since I am usually the one who exits the shower with a red back from the scalding water I like to stand under.
We still dream of one day being able to live down there.  We don't know if God will want us down there or someplace else.  Only He knows.  For now, we know that we need to be here, and that is ok too.  I have my memories, my pictures, and future trips to plan.  Under the heading of 'People', I wanted to share a few of my favorite pics from this summer's trip:




















2 comments: