Monday, November 29, 2010

I know how Peggy Ann McKay feels.

It is Monday again.  Not just any Monday, but the Monday after a long holiday weekend away.  These are the worst kind.  As I was laying in bed this morning (contemplating how long I could stay there before emerging from under the covers) I kept thinking about one of my favorite poems.  I first heard this poem when I was in elementary school and I have never forgotten it.  I wanted to share it:

Sick

'I cannot go to school today, '
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
'I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye.
My tonsils are as big as rocks,
I've counted sixteen chicken pox
And there's one more-that's seventeen,
And don't you think my face looks green?
My leg is cut-my eyes are blue-
It might be instamatic flu.
I cough and sneeze and gasp and choke,
I'm sure that my left leg is broke-
My hip hurts when I move my chin,
My belly button's caving in,
My back is wrenched, my ankle's sprained,
My 'pendix pains each time it rains.
My nose is cold, my toes are numb.
I have a sliver in my thumb.
My neck is stiff, my voice is weak,
I hardly whisper when I speak.
My tongue is filling up my mouth,
I think my hair is falling out.
My elbow's bent, my spine ain't straight,
My temperature is one-o-eight.
My brain is shrunk, I cannot hear,
There is a hole inside my ear.
I have a hangnail, and my heart is-what?
What's that? What's that you say?
You say today is...Saturday?
G'bye, I'm going out to play! '
  by Shel Silverstein

I know just how little Peggy Ann feels.  If it was Saturday I wouldn't have nearly as difficult a time getting out of bed as I do on Mondays.  Finally I got up and I looked at our family calendar.  It made me want to crawl back into bed.  I know our calendar is very similar to other family's, but it overwhelmed me this morning.

Monday:  Physical Therapy 8:30, Dr. appt with Annika, 2:30; Tonight: Dean-Meeting 7:00, Kirsten, Sr. Masquerade

Tuesday:  Dr. for me at 9:30; Office Payroll; set up for Wednesday mini-bazaar; Book Club sleepover (one of my favorites)

Wednesday:  Office Day-Billing; Mini-Bazaar @ church for Over the Moon Goods; Dean-Dr. 8:40; Annika-orthodontist 2:30; Night:  Kirsten--SHINE

Thursday: quiet day...ahhhhhhh; Night: Kirsten-Deck the Halls



Friday:  Office Holiday Lunch @ 1:30pm; Annika-Dr. @ 2:00 pm; Night:  Small Group dinner @ our house (another favorite).

A quick calculation tells me that is 6 dr/dentist appointments, total co-pays, $150.00.  Maybe I should consider taking that other job???




No comments:

Post a Comment