Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Under the Heading 'Awkward Invites'...

So as you know, Kirsten is graduating soon.  We are in the midst of graduation party preparations, plans and invites.  We got an interesting invite in the mail today.  I'm not sure what to do about it or why we got it.  I find myself analyzing the intent of the sender.

The invite was addressed to 'The Haan Family'.  Nothing too unusual there.  It was for a classmate of Kirsten's.  Again, not too unusual.  This is a kid that is within one of her social circles.  I don't think I have ever actually really talked with this kid to any degree (he has been in my home however), but he does fall within one of Kirsten's social orbit circles.  Again, all not that strange.  We don't talk with his parents.  They certainly aren't on our social calendar.  We don't attend church together.  We don't speak to each other at school or social events.  So I found it a little odd.  But you know why I really am spinning about the sender's motivation???  The mother of this graduate is the same woman that called Child Protective Services on us three years ago when Annika was in her downward spiral--you know the call that was heard 'round the world' and was the turning point for us placing Annika in residential treatment.   Uh-huh, weird one huh??

So why the invite? 

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I'm guessing that call didn't have nearly the emotional impact on their family as it did on yours! More awkward than the invite would be if you actually showed up on their doorstep.

    ReplyDelete