Friday, June 24, 2011

Downsize Step 2: Utility Room

Another room that I perused thru was our utility room. I have always thought it was a somewhat small utility room until yesterday. Yesterday, my favorite realtor of all time came thru the house. He stopped in our utility room, looked around and announced ‘this is a big utility room’. He was right.

It isn’t a big utility room by old farmhouse standards, but by the standards of newer homes where often there isn’t a utility room, but instead a utility closet, it is good sized. So as I stepped into that room and I REALLY looked around, I was met with yet another room that needs my purging attention.

The things I cannot (or at least I think I cannot) do without: the washer and dryer. The thought of not having my own washer and dryer can almost make me feel as though hives are ready to pop on the surface of my skin. I have this dark, deep fear that if I don’t have immediate access to a washer and dryer laundry will pile up to the point that I will never get it done. I realize this is completely irrational, especially since I make my children do their own laundry. That’s right, I am only responsible for keeping up with the mountains of dirty laundry that Dean and I produce. However, the idea of not having a washer and dryer available to me 24 hours/day/7 days a week makes me itch, and squirm and hyperventilate. So, easily available access to a washer and dryer are on my definite ‘need’ list.

Next, laundry baskets. I have this really cool thing in our laundry room, one of my many IKEA finds. It is a tall metal framework that accommodates 5 large plastic laundry bins. That is right, one for each of us. This is a HUGE lifesaver for me. Of course Kirsten’s bin is generally overloaded and in her room waiting to be unloaded, but you get the idea. Everyone has their own. If I find an item belonging to one of the kids (this includes Dean) laying around the house, it goes in their basket and from there they retrieve it. Again, I feel that this is an item that goes on the ‘need’ list.

Now comes the tough part, the cupboards above the washer and dryer. There is a shelf stacked with beach towels–easily accessible to grab on the way out swimming. First, only one member of our household goes swimming on a regular basis. Second, how many towels do you really need to have for this purpose? I think we have about 10 towels shoved on that shelf. Hmmmmmmm. How many do I really need?

I opened the cupboard doors. Eek! Cleaning supplies. There was one shelf devoted to supplies, do I ‘need’ all of them? Can I get by with just the Sprayway and Comet and a couple of sponges? Can I part with the stainless cleaner, the brass polish, the wood polish, and the Swiffer dry and wet clothes that are all used on occasion? Granted, it isn’t nearly the extensive cleaning supply inventory that my mother has in her home, but it does take up an entire shelf. This is going to be harder than I thought.

Other items in the cabinets include: dozens and dozens of canning jars, lids and rings. Honestly I think I can probably ditch a lot of these. Let’s be real, I haven’t done any canning in years. But if I have more time would I? I also find more ‘party’ items–remember I like to have what I need for any type of entertaining. This cupboard spews forth several of these items. A bag full of floating candles. A bag full of votive candles. Two boxes of clear votive candle holders–different sizes (I use these not just for decorating tables with candles. One time I catered a rehearsal dinner with an Italian theme, I filled the large ones with parmesan/romano cheese blend the small ones with red pepper flakes. They were perfect! Maybe I can fit those into my other ‘party supply’ boxes? which I am beginning to think might make it into the ‘need’ column.)

Flashlights, batteries of all sizes, bucket of extension cords, suntan lotions, bug sprays, boxes of different sized garbage bags, bottles of countertop sealer, ace elastic bandages (oh and a sling!), and several other items. Each is significant, but are all worth keeping? Picnic baskets, serving baskets of different sizes, cupcake holder/stand (you know the kind that you can put 2 dozen cupcakes on–another ‘party’ serving item), large stainless mixing bowls. These are just some of the items that grace the cupboards of my utility room. That isn’t even getting into the coats, shoes, hats, mittens and gloves that are hanging in the area under the stairs. How am I ever going to decide what makes the ‘need’ list and what makes the purge list?

Again, this is going to be harder than I thought.  After all, I may end up with a mere utility closet or what happens if I end up in a place where the washer and dryer are down the hall??  I'm not freaking out, I just am making myself aware that I need to be ready for real change.  That's ok, I think I am up for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment