Tuesday, June 21, 2011

It shouldn't be this difficult.

I just left the high school. I have been trying to schedule Annika’s 9th grade year. The process shouldn’t be that difficult. I think I may have bit thru my tongue. Pretty sure it is at least bleeding. I wish someone could explain to me how a principal of a high school doesn’t understand that some kids have struggles with learning and so the district needs to be a little more flexible with these kids AND that if a parent makes a suggestion about what would work best for their child to succeed it should be heeded.

It shouldn’t be this difficult. Lynden public schools has a pretty easy system. You have 2 semesters, and 4 classes per semester. In March, when we registered Annika for this fall, we put in some very specific requests for Annika. These requests were based on specific, well thought out recommendations by our shrink for how to best handle Annika’s schedule. So, in March, we filled out our paperwork, we submitted it along with our note explaining why we were requesting the order of classes. I also had an email exchange with the head of Special Ed outlining what we had submitted. No problem he said, we will get back to you. I didn’t hear a thing until I e-mailed last week asking where we were at in her schedule.

It shouldn’t be this difficult. This is what we asked for:

First Semester: Math, Guitar, English, Digital Communications (guitar is the only elective)

Second Semester: World Geography, Science, Study Skills, Art (art is the only elective)

This is what we got:

First Semester: Nutrition, English, Guitar, Science

Second Semester: Math, Digital Communications, Geography, Study Skills

Now on the surface it doesn’t seem like too many changes right? Here is the problem, Annika will not have Math for 7 MONTHS. This FREAKS.ME.OUT.

Math is Annika’s trigger point. Math is the class that Annika tests well below her grade level. Math is the reason why Annika has an I.E.P. (Individualized Education Plan). Annika qualifies for services based on her current “disability” in Math. When Annika was younger, and her anxiety was peaked, she missed out on learning A.LOT. Math is the biggest one of those things she missed. During 8th grade she made a lot of ground in Math. Now I fear that she will lose all of that. The principal I met with was less than helpful. He just stared at me blankly. I asked him for help in figuring out ways that we can get her math services during first semester. No response. Finally after stating for the third time ‘I need your help to help us figure out how to keep her successful in her learning’, he responded that maybe there was some sort of Math curriculum on CD that he could get for us. GOOD.FRIGGIN.GRIEF.

I find it hard to believe that I am the only parent that has this concern about a child with learning issues in a particular subject. If you have a student that qualifies for services in Math or English, is it wise for that child to go without that class for half of their school year? I know that there are several proponents for year round education based on the logic that large breaks from school make even the average students forget what they have learned. Apparently I am the only one that has heard that–because today the principal kept looking at me going ‘well this works for 850 students, I don’t think it is wrong’. No, you ding-bat I didn’t say it was wrong, what I said is that I know it won’t work for MY child and I am sure there are OTHER children that it doesn’t work for either so WHAT ARE THE OPTIONS?

It shouldn’t be this difficult. Should it??

No comments:

Post a Comment