Thursday, June 10, 2010

Labels

When it comes to my political views, I have never liked to be labeled. I readily admit, I have been guilty of branding someone, I just don’t appreciate someone else branding me. Lately, this sort of thing seems to be happening a lot more in our society. People seem to take some sort of strange comfort in being able to assign a single word to describe another’s viewpoint and ideas. You guessed it I am talking about those labels we keep hearing: conservative and liberal.

I have never liked to have my political views labeled. I know that these adjectives have been used and thrown about for many moons, but I have become more acutely aware of their usage during the last few years. That is probably related to the fact that our country has gone thru a huge political shift during the last round of general elections. During that last election round, most viewed the candidates and ALL of their philosophies and views as polar opposites. On some points I agree with that and on others I disagree. All candidates spoke of change, all candidates spoke of wanting to make things better for our citizens, all candidates spoke of wanting to make our nation stronger. People became angry and sometimes violent. A lot felt threatened. Families and friends argued. A general pervasive nastiness was abundant. Those two words, conservative and liberal, seemed to incite a divisiveness. Those two tag words are spoken in condescension by either side of the other side.

I have never liked to be labeled. The last two weeks I have had 3 different people tell me in random conversations, ‘well you are just a ** so you should be: insert assumption here’. NO. NO. NO. The reason that I dislike labels is that by assigning the tag, people suddenly think they know how someone views every issue. My thoughts and views are a little more complex than that. I have a variety of views on a variety of issues. Some of those complexities are based on life circumstance and experience. Some of those complexities change. Some days these complexities are in conflict with others. I may feel strongly one way on an issue and then go thru an experience that changes my perspective and view. If I have been labeled, suddenly others don’t allow me the freedom to change my view to something different than the label suggests.
Webster’s Dictionary defines conservative as: disposed to preserve existing conditions, institutions, etc., or to restore traditional ones, and to limit change; cautiously moderate or purposefully low, i.e., a conservative estimate; traditional in style or manner; avoiding novelty or showiness: i.e., a conservative suit or dress. In opposition to that is the definition of liberal: favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs; favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible, esp. as guaranteed by law and secured by governmental protection of civil liberties; favoring or permitting freedom of action, esp. with respect to matters of personal belief or expression, i.e. a liberal policy toward dissident artists and writers; of or pertaining to representational forms of government rather than aristocracies and monarchies; free from prejudice or bigotry; tolerant: a liberal attitude toward foreigners; open-minded or tolerant, esp. free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc.; characterized by generosity and willingness to give in large amounts.

Now, if you are a Follower of Christ, and you strive to live by His teachings, how do you reconcile these definitions? Is there room for a blending of ideas, views and philosophies? For me, I hope that the only label people will always use for me is ‘Follower of Christ’; because to me, that is the one that matters the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment