Monday, June 7, 2010

Memory Monday-Engagement

I realized today that it has been almost 23 years exactly since we got engaged.  We met in January of 1987.  Our first date was on January 16.  We have been together ever since.

In June of that year Dean and I decided to take a camping trip together.  We camped in the Mt. Rainier National Forest--Ohanapecosh.  As a child I had spent a lot of time camping at Ohanapecosh with my Grandpa and Grandma Crosno.  It was fun to take Dean there for the first time.  It was during that weekend we talked about getting married.  Dean later admitted that he had already been out shopping for the ring.  When we got back to Seattle, he went and picked up the ring and officially proposed over a bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Now just so you don't think that the proposal occured in the parking lot of our local KFC, I will clarify that we drove to the Magnolia Bluff in Seattle and THEN we ate our chicken and he proposed.  Later, we made the trek to Yakima to tell my parents and then finally to Lynden to tell his parents.   I laugh now when I think that it never even entered our minds for Dean to ask my Father for 'permission' to ask me.  I'm not quite sure what that means, but can't change it now!  We were married the following March 19, 1988.
Ohanapecosh River, Washington

I look at this picture and I realize how VERY, VERY young we were.  Aren't the matching pastel colors pretty?    I don't honestly know what we were thinking!  I was only 19 when we got engaged, 20 when we married.  When I realize that our oldest is now 20 it freaks me out to think about him being married!  WOW!  Upon seeing this picture, I remember my older brother Jeff said that Dean looked a little like Billy Joel. Hah!  I guess it was the big Haan eyes.   I wasn't sure how to take that one!  I will say it that has been a pretty amazing  journey growing up together.


our official engagement picture
June, 1987








a more recent picture taken in Zihuatanejo, Mexico

No comments:

Post a Comment